73° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. East Robertson, April 25
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published April 26, 2024
Senior Madison Bennett cuts to the end zone for a Coyote score in the game on April 25, 2024.
Flag football squad falls in championship game
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published April 26, 2024
Photo Gallery: Flag Football Championship Game vs. Montgomery Central, April 25
Friday, April 26 Test Schedule
Friday, April 26 Test Schedule
Published April 25, 2024
Leilyn Mercado looks to chase down a Montgomery Central runner in the 13-6 loss on April 15.
Lady Coyotes flag football to face Montgomery Central for championship
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published April 24, 2024

Flag Football Notes for March 18-March 22

Team goes 2-0 on week

The flag football began last week with the Coyotes going 2-0. They defeated Kirkwood 19-6 on Monday and followed that up by defeating Northeast 13-12 on Thursday.

Monday, March 18

Head coach Aaron King said the team’s defense would be a strength this season. His words proved true as the defense pitched a shutout. The lone Cobra score came via an interception return for a touchdown that put the Cobras up 6-0.

The Coyote offense moved the ball but could not punch it in for a score. The halftime score remained 6-0.

Things turned quickly in the second half. The offense scored two touchdowns on its first two drives while the defense tamed the Cobras’ offense. Senior Madison Bennett and junior Kinleigh Lewis combined for all three touchdowns.

Defensively, junior Leilyn Mercado pulled down an interception and collected many flag pulls. She and the rest of the defense combined for the defensive shutout.

Thursday, March 21

The game came down to one last gasp for the Coyotes’ offense. Down 12-7 with 20 seconds left in the game, quarterback Lewis hit sophomore Lyssandra Rodriguez on a deep post. Rodriguez made two defenders miss and outran another to score, putting the squad up 13-12 for the final margin.

It was another stellar defensive effort, with senior Dayonna Williams collecting two interceptions and junior Shana Moore tallying another to seal the victory.

Offensively, besides the game-winning pass, Lewis had a 50-plus yard touchdown to sophomore Nicole Cushionberry.

The squad improved to 2-0 on the season with the first home contest against Clarksville High School tonight at 6 p.m. Tickets are available through GoFan.