82° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Meet Lorraine Cutting, the class of 2023 valedictorian

Lorraine Cutting, the 2023 West Creek valedictorian
Scott Hoskins

Lorraine Cutting had been waiting for the top 10 to be released since the end of December. The anxiety and stress had been eating her alive for the past couple of weeks. 

When the school announced the Top 10 Seniors on Feb. 2, the waiting was over. Cutting was officially announced as the class of 2023 valedictorian. Four years of dedication had paid off.

“I am so happy to be in the top 10 because I feel like I have worked extremely hard during the last four years to do so,” Cutting said. “I am grateful for all the knowledge I gained through my dedication to my academics. I feel thoroughly prepared for the next chapter of my life by building my career.”  

Cutting put an enormous amount of work into making the top 10. She took certain classes that helped boost her GPA and cumulative percentage, including Dual Enrollment classes such as English 1010 and EDUC 2010. In addition, she took Advanced Placement classes such as AP Human Geography and AP Physics.

“I took various higher math classes at Austin Peay that will help me further my journey into my mathematics degree,” Cutting said. “I also took Dual Enrollment education courses that will help me get my education minor.”  

A member of the Academy of Teaching and Learning, she also participates in Student Government Association, National Honor Society, Science National Society, Math National Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society. She also was a member of the tennis team last year. 

Cutting said, “I love being in the Academy of Teaching and Learning because it gives me field experience and the opportunity to observe a classroom from a teacher’s perspective. I like being in SGA because I get a sense of leadership and commitment.”

As for her future, Cutting is decided between two elite universities. “I am going to go to college at Stanford or Harvard for a mathematics major and education minor.”