80° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024
Diamond Notes: Baseball for April 29-May 3
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published May 5, 2024
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3

Meet the Salutatorian: Julianne Hook

Julianne Hook
ProStudio7
Julianne Hook

Julianne Hook had been waiting for rank just as long as everyone else. Everyone had been stressing over this number since December. When class rankings were released on February 2, Hook was announced as the class of 2023 salutatorian.

It’s certainly rewarding, although I can’t say I was surprised,” Hook said. “My family is very proud of me, and that’s definitely the best part about it.” 

Hook recognizes teachers that have helped motivate her through the last four years to make the top 10. “Mr. Farley in AP Physics and Mr. Smitherman in AP European History helped me to maintain my GPA and learn my difficult courses on a deeper level,” she said. “Mr. Dixon challenged me to embrace my leadership role in marching band.  I’ve also had teachers that were supportive and encouraging regardless of the class difficulty: Mr. Welfare, Mrs. Poszywak, Mrs. Coots, Mrs. Elliott, and Mrs. Ladd are all among the teachers that made my daily experience in high school brighter.”

Hook participates in different activities such as marching band and Mu Alpha Theta. Regarding classes she’s taken to help her make the top 10, “It started with taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade; being able to start the high school track early facilitated in me taking honors classes and AP classes in freshman year. I’ve taken AP courses every year, especially science courses (AP Biology, AP Physics, and AP Environmental science) because I have a particular interest in science. Dual enrollment is also a very good track for receiving college credit early; it has the possibility of saving you a lot of money.”

Lastly, Hook gives advice to upcoming juniors and seniors for the next graduating class. “Try to learn as much as you can while you’re young, and I’m not just referring to subjects in school,” she said. “Interact with people that aren’t exactly like you and read about experiences other than your own. I don’t want to get annoyingly philosophical, but it’s crucial to exercise your empathy at an age when it’s easily pushed aside.”