80° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024
Diamond Notes: Baseball for April 29-May 3
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published May 5, 2024
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3

Two sides to the Valentine’s Day coin

Happy+Valentines+Day+by+C.P.Storm+is+licensed+under+CC+BY+2.0.+
“Happy Valentine’s Day” by C.P.Storm is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday loved and dreaded by many. Full of hearts and symbols of love, the waves of this day are felt all over the world. But today, let’s take a look into the minds of a specific group of people, our peers at West Creek High School, each with their own viewpoint on the joys and sorrows of Valentine’s day. Just like most other topics, there seem to be two sides to this chocolate-covered love coin. 

For example, Halina Photopulos, 10, stated, “My favorite thing about Valentine’s Day is getting to spend time with him.”

Daniel Smith-Ramirez doesn’t like seeing everyone happy on Valentine’s Day.

This was vastly optimistic compared to an answer from Daniel Smith Ramirez, 10, who said, “I don’t like seeing everyone happy and expressing that.” 

As the interviews went on, the trend became more apparent, people without a Valentine were a lot less excited. It could even go as far as to enhance their feelings of loneliness as the holiday creeps closer. 

Sometimes the most memorable quotes are expressed with little words, in this case, one. When responding to the question, “How do you feel going into Valentine’s Day this year?” Owen Paul, 10, took a breath and confidently stated, “Lonely.” Though this was mostly for comedic expression, this answer expresses the feelings of many students this Valentine’s Day. But some single students offer a different perspective. 

It’s a cute holiday, but I don’t like people who complain about it cause they sound like losers,” Likeia Rose Aman Boone,10, said. 

Though slightly harsh in her wording, Likeia may be on to something. Why can’t single people enjoy the holiday just as much as any other person? 

As AJ Anderson put it, “I may not have a partner, but I can still show the people I love that I love them.” 

And quite frankly, “Flowers are not the main part of Valentine’s Day.” Ty Hutchens, 9, replied jokingly to his girlfriend’s remarks. So this Valentine’s Day, whether you have a Valentine or not, just remember we can all enjoy this “Day of Love.”