82° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

What has been your favorite movie of 2023?

The year is almost over and there have been a lot of great movies that have come out in the year 2023.

This year has undoubtedly been jam-packed with entertainment for viewers thanks to a combination of theatrical releases and streaming-only content. The roster of movies has been diversified in terms of plot, budget, and genre thanks to big studio tentpole ventures, movies from the festival circuit that have made it to theaters, and high-profile streaming titles.
Here are a few opinions from people at our school who have shared their favorite movies this year.

Breanna Darroux

Breanna Darroux is an 11th grader at West Creek High School. For her favorite movie she chose The Little Mermaid. The movie is about a young mermaid, Ariel, who wants to explore the world above hers. In order to make that happen, she has to make a deal with a sea witch, Ursula, to trade her voice with human legs. While on the surface, she experiences life on land.

Rotten Tomatoes has given it 67% for Tomatoes and 94% for Popcorn. Breanna herself has given it a rating of 8/10 and says the acting is good. “It’s also the only movie I’ve seen this year,” she said.

Abigail Dixon (Celeste Hunt)

Abigail Dixon is an 11th grader at West Creek High School. For her favorite movie she chose Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.

The movie is about Miles being launched into the Multiverse. There, he meets the Spider Society, a group of Spider-People tasked to defend the Multiverse’s existence.

IMDb has given it a rating of 8.8/10 and ranked 12 out of popularity. Abigail herself has given it a rating of 9.5/10 and says the acting could be better but good enough. The reason behind her saying that Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is the best movie so far is because of the graphics, soundtrack, and the plot in the movie. “It is is just a good summer movie to watch during the summer,” she said.

Mr. Alexander is a music teacher. For his favorite movie he chose Chevalier.

Mr. Alexander (Celeste Hunt)

The movie is about Joseph Bologne, the illegitimate child of a French plantation owner and an African slave, who achieves incredible success in French society as a famed violinist-composer and fencer, replete with a relationship and fallout with Marie Antoinette.

Metacritic has given it a 67% metascore and 4.9 user score. Mr. Alexander himself has given it a 9/10 rating and says the acting is perfect. “Chevalier is the best movie so far because of the main character being a violinist during the 1770s,” Mr. Alexander said. “It relates to me music-wise.”

So what has been your favorite movie so far this year? Write it in the comments and let us know.