69° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

FAFSA deadline is April 15

Required to receive federal student aid

Seniors, you may heard the acronym FAFSA a lot this school year. Amy Wilson, the college and career counselor, and Bill Shehy, the twelfth-grade counselor, might be hounding you to fill it out as we speak.

But what is the FAFSA and why should you fill it out?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and it is required to receive federal financial aid. This includes receiving the Tennessee Hope Scholarship, Pell Grant, any other type of federal grant and student loans. The deadline for Tennessee is April 15, 2024.

There is no cost to fill out the FAFSA, but certain things are needed before you and your parents can fill it out:

• Your Social Security Number
  • Your A-Number (if you’re not a U.S. citizen)
  • Federal income tax returns, records of child support received; and your current balance of cash, savings, and checking accounts (Note: You must provide consent and approval to disclose your federal tax information to be eligible for federal student aid.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable), net worth of investments, businesses, and farms
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID (account username and password) to log in to StudentAid.gov and start the FAFSA form electronically

To receive an FSA ID, students must create one by logging into StudentAid.gov. For the new FAFSA form for the 2024-2025 school year, parents and any contributors must also have an FSA ID. For students who take dual enrollment courses this year, you should already have an FSA ID.

Who is considered a parent?
A legal parent includes a biological parent, an adoptive parent, or a person that the state has determined to be your parent (for example, when a state allows another person’s name to be listed as a parent on a birth certificate). Grandparents, foster parents, legal guardians, older brothers or sisters, widowed stepparents, and aunts and uncles aren’t considered parents unless they’ve legally adopted you.

For more information or if you have any questions about the FAFSA, please see Ms. Wilson or Mr. Shehy as soon as possible. The April deadline for submission is coming quickly.