66° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. East Robertson, April 25
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published April 26, 2024
Senior Madison Bennett cuts to the end zone for a Coyote score in the game on April 25, 2024.
Flag football squad falls in championship game
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published April 26, 2024
Photo Gallery: Flag Football Championship Game vs. Montgomery Central, April 25
Friday, April 26 Test Schedule
Friday, April 26 Test Schedule
Published April 25, 2024
Leilyn Mercado looks to chase down a Montgomery Central runner in the 13-6 loss on April 15.
Lady Coyotes flag football to face Montgomery Central for championship
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published April 24, 2024

Lack of support for school events is embarrassing

This editorial does not reflect the official opinion of West Creek High School’s administration or staff.

The good news about Saturday night’s basketball game? There was hardly any traffic leaving the complex.

The bad news? It was because fan attendance was embarrassing.

The game against the Springfield Yellow Jackets was inarguably the most important game of the season. Win and the Coyotes go on to the semifinals of the 4A-Region 7 tournament. Lose and the season’s over. The Coyotes lost by one point and the season is over.

It cannot be said the lack of support led to the loss, but it definitely did not help. There are funerals that are louder than the gym. That may be hyperbole but not by much. Ninety-six classroom teachers are working at the school. Over 1,600 students attend school. The fact is, that at Saturday’s game, two teachers who didn’t have to be there were there and one educational assistant. I saw less than 50 students.

Frankly, this is unacceptable. I realize that the game was on a Saturday, so teachers and students may have had other plans. I also realize that not every student can afford the ticket or has transportation to the game.

That’s okay. I’m not arguing that every teacher and every student should attend every game. But even if 10 percent of the study body attended, that would make a great student section. Even if 20 percent of the faculty attended, they would be seen by students, letting the students know that their teachers take an interest in the school.

The lack of teacher and student support is visible in almost every sporting event. At the beginning of football season, lots of students attend, but as the season progresses, fewer and fewer students attend. The lack of fan support for baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer games is embarrassing.

The lack of teacher and student involvement also carries over to other extracurricular activities. How many teachers and students have been to see the great plays that the drama department has staged? How many attended the holiday performances from orchestra, guitar and choir?

Teachers and students who profess to have school spirit are not showing it when they don’t show up for events. So what is to be done?

Our solution for the lack of student support would be to have an incentive system. Let students attend games for free. If students don’t show up as it is, the school isn’t making money. If students attend for free, then they will spend money at the concession stand.

Our suggestion is to allow students who have their student ID badges in for free. Scan the badge and keep a record of who attended. For every event, they receive points. The more events students attend, the more points they earn. Students can then spend points on Coyote gear–hats, shirts, stickers, etc. Events like baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer will carry more points.

We don’t have a solution for the lack of teacher support. Teachers are adults. You can’t make them do anything extra outside of their contracted hours. Teachers who claim to love working here must show that by supporting their students outside of school. Students see their teachers at these events. It’s an easy way to show students that their teachers take an interest in their extracurricular activities.

We must do better. If we want a positive school climate and culture, then attending these events is one of the cheapest ways to accomplish that. It costs teachers nothing but their time.

Even though no one likes to be stuck in traffic, for once, I wouldn’t mind being behind a line of vehicles leaving the complex.