86° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Become involved in Student Government

Scott Hoskins
SGA members Standford Thompson (left), President Alivia Morris (center) and Nya Wright (right) greet students by ringing bells on the first half-day of school.

Being involved is one of the biggest things you can do to help get through high school. The Student Government Association does so much involvement in the school, but it doesn’t get talked about enough.

“There’s a lot more work than just picking t-shirts, and there’s a lot more to it than just making pep rallies,” said Ms.Schmucker, senior class advisor. “There are a lot of people who don’t even understand what SGA stands for and that they don’t know who their people are, so this year we were planning on creating a bulletin board.”

Identifying these people will allow for new thoughts and ideas to flow through the school. However, these ideas have to be realistic to reach.

“It’s especially frustrating when I try to do the things others ask me about or want to be done, but there’s just no way to do it,” junior class president Arianna Anderson said. “You can’t please everyone in your class. It can be a bit hard dealing with all the requests, complaints and questions when most of the bigger picture stuff is out of your hands.”

A lot of things go on behind the scenes that people may not think of like paperwork, early meetings and planning..

“I like it. It’s really fun especially around hoco and I like being able to have an opinion on things and it being heard,” sophomore class representative, Nahliyani Beasley said.

SGA members Violet Anderson and Ny’Arie Myers wave to students on the first day of school. (Scott Hoskins)

SGA is an overall great organization that’s working to be more known and student-led. If you are thinking about joining SGA, you have to make sure you’re ready for the commitment.

“Go and talk to your current SGA group, like go and see when they are doing things, go and get involved now and understand is this something you want to do, almost like a practice run,” Ms.Schmucker said.

Even if you feel scared or have doubts about joining, you should still give it a shot. SGA is all about involvement in and around the school.

“Just do it because why not, I feel like it’s definitely a good experience if you like being involved,” Beasley said.

“It’s pretty fun being involved in all the school activities. High school will go by much quicker if you participate in stuff,” Anderson said.