63° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024
Diamond Notes: Baseball for April 29-May 3
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published May 5, 2024
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3

Diamond Notes-Baseball for March 25-March 31

The diamond Coyotes went 2-1 on the week, sweeping Kenwood and dropping a non-district game to Sycamore.

Monday, March 25

The Coyotes won a rain-shortened game over the Kenwood Knights 5-0. Sophomore Landon Coots started the game but pitched just one-third of an inning before the rain fell.

Coyote batters started quickly in the first inning, scoring all five runs with none earned. The Knights committed three errors in the inning. leading to all five runs by the Coyotes.

Wednesday, March 27

The Coyotes jumped on the Knights for 16 runs in the second inning en route to a 21-2 run-rule victory in just three innings.

Aiden Urdiales got the start on the bump and held the Knights to just two hits while facing 15 batters and striking out four. The freshman also went 2-for-2 at the plate, driving in three runs.

The hosts pounded out 16 hits in just two innings. Eight Coyotes finished perfect at the plate: sophomores Shaun Chumley, Coots, Julio Perez and Victor Bell, junior Dante Castro, seniors Diego Silva and Nate Lucas. Knights’ pitchers also plunked three Coyote batters.

In a base-stealing clinic, the Coyotes stole 25 bases, led by Chumley’s seven, Castro’s four and Coots’s three.

Thursday, March 28

The squad traveled to Pleasant View to take on the Sycamore Eagles. Sycamore pitcher Conner Jones held the Coyotes in check, allowing just two hits in five and two-thirds innings. He added nine strikeouts and issued just one walk.

Senior Andres Garcia-Ortiz got the start for the Coyotes. He went four innings, surrendering three runs (two earned), striking out five and walking one.

Lucas and Chumley collected the lone hits for the Coyotes.

This week the Coyotes play four games, Monday at home against Henry County, Tuesday away at Henry County, Thursday at home against Clarksville Christian and Friday at home against Houston County.