64° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Lady Coyotes clip Eagles’ wings in district tournament

Joanna Harris (4) and Madziyonna Calloway set up on defense in the victory.
Scott Hoskins

The Lady Coyotes jumped on the Northeast Eagles early and often in cruising to a 60-27 win in the first round of the 4A Region 7 District 13 girls’ basketball tournament Tuesday night.

Head coach Aaron Keener was happy with the team’s effort. “First of all, winning this game proves to the girls that hard work does pay off.  Secondly, this win places the Lady Coyotes in a position which they have not been in for more than 11 years: 5 wins, a loss at the buzzer to Northwest and a chance to win our 6th game.  Lastly, this win gives us an opportunity to win 3rd place in the District Tournament.”

At the end of the first quarter, the Lady Coyotes led 17-2, paced by junior Madziyonna Calloway’s 10 points. The Lady Eagles could not get anything going offensively and found themselves in a huge hole going into the second.

Ariy Denson takes shot during the game against Northeast High. (Scott Hoskins)

Senior Ariy Denson took over in the second quarter, scoring seven points, all from the free throw stripe. Denson went 7-of-8 from the line in the quarter as the Lady Eagles continually fouled her while she drove to the basket. The Lady Eagles finally found some offense in the quarter, scoring 16 but still found themselves down 35-18 at the half.

The third quarter saw a repeat of the first, as the Lady Coyotes dominated 14-3. Calloway chipped in another eight to put the game away by the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Calloway led the Lady Coyotes in scoring with 20 points with Denson adding 17.

Coach Keener sees the growth in the squad throughout the year. “The girls have grown immensely. They survived the grind of a long season, which had its ups and downs,” he said. “Most of all, they have endured roster changes early in the season, a couple of injuries to key players and now finally understanding the key elements of competing.”

The Lady Coyotes move on to Thursday’s semifinal game against district-champion Clarksville High School. The Lady Wildcats took both meetings earlier in the season.

“CHS has a really good team with a special player on their roster (Imari Berry),” Keener said. “It will take a full effort from the Lady Coyotes to compete with them. Most of all, we must eliminate turnovers, rebound the ball well, get back in transition, and have a little, OK, a lot of, luck! However, I am very proud of the team I currently have and I am excited to see how they stack up throw-out the tournament.”

The game will be held at Clarksville High School’s William Workman Gymnasium at 6 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through GoFan.

More photos of the game can be found on the Multimedia page.

Scoring

Harris-2, Rodriguez-3, Denson-17, Audate-6, Calloway-20, Bassham-4, Deal-8 (60)