75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Playoffs? Yes, playoffs!

Coyotes wrap up school’s second-only playoff berth, to face Germantown in first-round
Scott Hoskins
The Coyotes celebrate their playoff berth after defeating Kirkwood 24-21 on Oct. 27.

Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Mora famously responded to a reporter’s question about making the playoffs. His response: “PLAYOFFS?! Don’t talk about—playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs!?!

After Friday’s 24-21 overtime victory over Kirkwood High, the Coyotes can now say they are talking about playoffs. For only the second time in school history, the football squad secured a state playoff berth with the victory. The victory did not come easily, however.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Coyotes led 21-6 but costly fumbles and penalties allowed the Cobras back into the game. With ten seconds left in the game and the Coyotes holding an eight-point, the Cobra’s quarterback Lee Buggs launched a prayer to the end zone. Receiver Jordan Bowser, falling to the ground, caught the ball for a touchdown. A two-point conversion later and the contest was headed to overtime.

The Coyotes had the ball first in overtime but could not punch the ball into the end zone. They settled for a Charles Woodworth, 12, field goal to take a 24-21 lead. This was after a D.J. Swanson touchdown pass to Daniel Honeycutt was called back for a penalty.

The Cobras’ turn on offense came. They pushed the ball to the Coyotes’ 3-yard line. On fourth down, instead of kicking the game-tying field goal. coach Chad Watson chose to go for it to end the game. The Coyotes’ defense dug in its heels. They made sure the Cobra running back had no room to score. Game over, playoff berth secured.

Coyote head coach Rob Gallowitz said, “It was electric for the fanbase and our kids. There were so many times in the game where we faced adversity and could have potentially lost the game, but they stepped up and battled.”

He had nothing but praise for this year’s group of seniors. “This group paved the way for the younger classes and showed them the hard work it takes to make a playoff push,” he said. “This group has been with me all four years, and it is fun to finally see them crack the playoffs before they graduate.”

The Coyotes will travel to Memphis on Friday to face undefeated and Associated Press second-ranked Germantown Red Devils in the first round of the TSSAA playoffs. The Red Devils are stacked from top to bottom. They boast of four players who are committed or hold college offers from North Carolina, Central Florida, Temple and Mississippi State.

According to Coach Gallowitz, “Germantown is a really well-coached team with great athletes all over the field, so they are going to provide us with some challenges. We do know that we have the speed to counter their muscle, so we should be able to hold our own and compete.”

Regardless of the game’s outcome, the Coyotes can call their season a success.

Playoffs indeed!