75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Coyotes drop Northeast in home finale

Scott Hoskins
Devin Smith puts up a shot in the 4th quarter of the Coyotes’ victory over Northeast.

After trailing by 11 at halftime, the Coyotes boys’ basketball squad rallied in the second half to down the Northeast Eagles 51-47 in the home finale on Tuesday, Feb. 7. 

In front of the largest crowd of the season, the team responded after being outscored 17-8 in the second quarter to dominate the visitors 34-19 in the second half. 

Both teams played at a fast pace from the opening tip. After trailing by two at the end of the first quarter, the Coyotes struggled to find the bucket in the second quarter. Northeast’s big men Deing Wang and Chance Austin challenged any inside shot, while the Coyotes’ outside game failed to produce. 

The Coyotes’ defense kept them in striking distance at the half, as the team trailed 28-17. 

“Coach told us it was going to be dogfight when we first went out there,” junior guard Devin Smith said. “He said there would be adversity, and we just had to face it.”

In the third quarter, the Coyotes turned up the defensive pressure with a full-court press. Smith said that was the plan after halftime. “Coach wanted us to get turnovers and score in transition,” he said. The defensive intensity got to the Eagles as they committed numerous turnovers. 

After scoring 17 points total in the first half, the Coyotes scored 18 in the third to knot the score at 35 going into the fourth quarter.

Kameron Bowers avoids the reach of Northeast’s Deing Wang. (Scott Hoskins)

The fourth quarter was more evenly matched, but that’s when Smith took over, scoring 8 of his team-high 15 in the final frame. “My teammates kept feeding me the ball, and everything was going my way,” Smith said. 

The Eagles have dominated the series in recent years, most recently with a 63-59 overtime loss on Jan. 20 at the Eagle’s Nest. 

“This win feels great,” Smith said. “It will be one of my favorite high school experiences. It was good for the whole school.”

The Coyotes’ next contest is at district-leading Rossview High School on Friday to wrap up the regular season. District play begins next week at Clarksville High School.

Team Scoring: 

Bowers-7, LaFortune-5, Maddox-2, Pace-2, Smith-15, Harding-2, Dugger-10, Villanea-8