64° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Football Preview: Coyotes vs. Dickson County, Oct. 20

Win and you’re in.

This is the situation the Coyotes’ football squad finds themselves in going into tonight’s game against the visiting Dickson County Cougars. Currently 3-5 overall but 3-2 in Class 6A, Region 7, the team sits in third place, tied with the Cougars. A win against the Cougars will guarantee West Creek’s second-only playoff berth in school history.┬áThe Coyotes are coming off a bye week, while the Cougars defeated Kenwood last week 31-12. In their last contest, the Coyotes blasted Northeast 43-0, for the team’s first-ever victory over the Eagles.

Dickson County runs the ball more than almost any other opponent the Coyotes have faced. In last week’s victory over Kenwood, the Cougars ran the ball 48 times for 302 yards while attempting only eight passes (completing only two). Seniors McKaleb Frazier and Malakhi Redman are the workhorses for the Cougars. Combined, they have 143 carries for 1,002 yards on the season. However, the Cougars spread the ball among a number of backs.

Defensively, senior Isaiah Daniel has 82 tackles and junior Luke Markem has 81 to lead the team.

In the last game against Northeast, the Coyotes’ defense showed up in a big way. Daniel Honeycutt, 12, picked off three Eagle passes, and Ryan Carver, 11, and Darrick Brown, 12, each collected two quarterback sacks. Brown also forced a fumble. Kingston Leon, 11, led the team in tackles with seven. Brown and Jaylen Jackson, 12, added six tackles.

Should things not go the Coyotes’ way, the squad still has one more chance to secure a playoff berth with a┬ávictory over Kirkwood High next week.