75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Book Review: The Sunbearer Trials by Aiden Thomas

Aiden Thomas is a Latinx author who commonly writes fictional stories featuring Hispanic characters or tales such as the widely known book Cemetery Boys, which was a New York Times best seller for four weeks and received many awards and nominations after its debut in 2020.

The Sunbearer Trials is no different in its New York Times best-seller status.

The story features the world of Reino de Sol, which was originally created by Sol (the sun, who is referred to as “they”). After their creation of Dios Tierra (the earth), the two went on to create three sets of Dioses or gods. The Golds, who were highly acclaimed and very powerful; the Jades, humble and not as powerful as the Golds; and the Obsidians, who became greedy and sought more power.

Sol sacrificed themself to keep the Obsidians locked away in constellations. In order to keep Sol’s power strong, every decade a trial is held where 10 competitors from 13 to 18 are chosen by Sol and compete to become the Sunbearer, with the loser being sacrificed to refuel the Sun Stones (pieces of Sol’s physical body held in every temple in Reino de Sol).

The main character is Teo, a 17-year-old Jade semidios (demigod) and trans son of Diosa Quétzal (birds were made in her image). He never expected that as a Jade he’d be picked, the last one being chosen 130 years ago. He especially didn’t expect another Jade to also be chosen–the 13-year-old son of Mala Suerte (bad luck), Xio.

As the trials go on he tries to keep himself, Xio and his best friend and Gold semidos, Niya, from ending up in last and being sacrificed.

It is a long but enjoyable book filled with risk, fun, and a whole lotta angst. (Also it’s not canon yet but Aurelio and Teo so have a thing going on if you ask me.)