75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Coyotes crush Kenwood for season’s first win

Offense comes to life in 28-7 victory
Scott Hoskins
Jaisaun Ousley (20) bursts through the line on his way to a touchdown on Friday, Sept. 8, against Kenwood. The Coyotes would go on to win 28-7.

It was only a matter of time before the Coyotes’ offense awoke from its slumber.

The first three games of the season saw the offense muster just one touchdown. In Friday night’s game, however, the offense finally jelled, putting up 28 points in a 28-7 victory over the rival Knights, earning the squad’s first victory of the season.

In what is billed as the “Battle of the Mill,” the Coyotes kept the trophy for one more year. Behind the running back tandem of senior Jaisaun Ousley and junior D.J. McCoy, the Coyotes righted the offense. A touchdown pass from junior quarterback Deshawn Swanson to senior Jayden Hinds and Swanson’s own touchdown run gave the team more than enough points to defeat the winless Knights.

Head coach Rob Gallowitz gave offensive coordinator Barrett Crane credit. “Coach Crane did a good job scheming them up and putting our athletes in position to move the ball effectively,” he said. “We got our quarterback back from injury, so I think that was a huge advantage too.”

Ousley punched in an 8-yard touchdown run in the first quarter to give the Coyotes a 7-0 lead. Following a Kenwood fumble, Swanson hit Hinds for a 6-yard touchdown pass to increase the lead to 14-0.

The Knights drew to within seven after a touchdown pass from quarterback Jacoby Cox, but then they tried an on-side kick that failed miserably. This gave the Coyotes the ball at the Knights’ 41-yard line. It didn’t take long for Swanson to connect with Hinds again, this time for a 40-yard completion that put the ball at the Knight’s 1-yard line.

One play later, McCoy scored to push the lead back to 14. From that point on, it was all Coyote defense. Senior Nate Lucas picked off Cox’s pass at midfield at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

“Coach Jalomo has done a great job putting the defense in opportunistic positions and their effort has been incredible,” Coach Gallowitz said. “Guys like Ryan Carver and Kingston Leon lead by example and are physical athletes, so when you have talented players like that you let them play free and fast.”

After Lucas’s interception, the offense drove the ball down the field, punctuated by Swanson’s touchdown run with 8:42 remaining in the contest to cap off the scoring.

The win was not only the Coyotes’ first win of the season but also their first region win.

“It is a relief that we are 1-1 in the region,” Coach Gallowtiz said. “Now, we shift focus to Clarksville High and try to go 2-1 this week in region play.”

The Coyotes host the Wildcats on Friday. Clarksville has dominated every team it has faced on its way to a 4-0 record. The defense will have its hands full.

“They are a well-coached team with a great offensive line,” Coach Gallowtiz said. “They are going to try to bully us up front but I do think we have players that can hold their ground and compete. We are preparing each week like it is a play-in game for the playoffs.”

The game kicks off at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through GoFan.