75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Football drops defensive slugfest 9-6

Football drops defensive slugfest 9-6

For three quarters, it looked like the Coyotes’ football contest against the Lavergne High School Wolverines might end in a scoreless tie.

However, with 8:17 to go in the game and the Coyotes backed up inside their 5-yard line, the Wolverines dropped senior running back Daniel Honeycutt for a safety to put the home team up 2-0. Lavergne followed that up with a touchdown run to go up 9-0 late in the contest.

The Coyotes were not finished, though. Quarterback Deshawn Swanson hit Honeycutt in stride for a 45-yard touchdown pass with 1:09 remaining. They were not able to convert the point after.

Head coach Rob Gallowitz felt that the defense stepped up. “I thought the defense played lights out,” he said. “They have been in this system for two years and did a really good job keeping LaVergne’s offense off the field. We kept fighting regardless of the score, which I was proud about.”

Penalties proved to be the Coyotes’ main nemesis. They were flagged 13 times for 95 yards.

“No matter the level of football, you won’t win many games with a stat like that,” Coach Gallowitz said. “We need to clean up a lot of mental mistakes like jumping offsides, lining up in the neutral zone and simple things that can create costly opportunities for us.”

Coach Gallowitz expects to see a more disciplined effort from the Coyotes in their next game.

Because the game was a non-region contest, the loss does not affect their prospects in Region 7. The Coyotes hit the road again next Friday in another non-region contest when they face the Green Hill Hawks in Mt. Juliet. Kickoff time is 7 p.m.

For photos, visit https://www.theleafchronicle.com/picture-gallery/sports/high-school/2023/08/17/west-creek-vs-la-vergne-football-best-tssaa-photos-from-week-1-game/70616206007/.