75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Sweet revenge!

Lady Coyotes win county’s first flag football championship
Sweet+revenge%21

“Day by day we get better and better till we can’t be beat. Won’t be beat.” 

The team motto of the Lady Coyotes’ flag football team proved to be prophetic.

On the heels of stellar defense, the Lady Coyotes revenged an earlier loss and defeated Montgomery Central’s previously unbeaten flag football squad 13-6. By doing so, they won Montgomery County’s first flag football championship.

The defense stepped up in a huge way in the first half. With Central driving, senior Jakayla Thomas jumped in front of a pass and took it the distance. With the extra point, the Lady Coyotes found themselves up 7-0. Although they could not punch it in on offense in the first half, the squad took that 7-0 lead into the half.

Early in the second half, the Lady Coyotes finally found the end zone when quarterback Kinleigh Lewis found Ariy Denson for a long touchdown. Denson broke several Indian tackles on the way to the end zone. The extra point was no good, leaving the team up 13-0.

The Lady Indians then put together its best drive of the night. Going exclusively to the air, the Lady Indians marched down the field, picking up huge chunk plays with their tall wide receiver. They scored but failed on the conversion attempt.

For the rest of the second half, both teams played evenly. Both teams moved the ball effectively, but neither could score. The Lady Coyotes bled the clock down to 10 seconds, leaving the opponents with one last attempt.

The Lady Indians quarterback could find no open receivers on the play, so she took off running. She didn’t make it far before the trio of Jakayla Thomas, Jes Barefield and Leilyn Mercado converged and ripped the flag from her belt, ending the contest and earning a championship.

Mercado was ready for her. “As soon as I saw her, I knew we were gonna get her,” she said.

The championship was a culmination of months of practices and games. Although the squad dropped two games to Clarksville High and Montgomery Central in the regular season, it avenged those losses in the post-season, defeating Clarksville 13-12 and then Central in the championship contest.

Coach Aaron King knew that the road to the championship wouldn’t be easy. “We knew it from the beginning that we would be playing CHS and MCHS in the playoffs because that would be the best redemption story.”

“It felt right for us to win,” quarterback Kinleigh Lewis said. “I couldn’t imagine us losing.”

“Revenge was a big factor for us,” Xia Singletary said. “We’d lost 6-0 in the first game. We knew we could beat them.”

Coach King knew that he had a special team and that they could accomplish their goal of winning the title. “We set an expectation to get better each and every day,” he said. “Immediately we had every single player buy into that mindset. From that point, we really felt like there was no stopping us. We had bumps in the road, and hard decisions were made, but in the end, it all worked out exactly how we envisioned.”

Coach King summed up the season this way: “Just like in our Creed, we refused to be beat. These girls took every loss as a lesson and got better. We’re District Champions because of their mindset. I couldn’t ask for anything more as a coach.”

For photographs, see the Photo Gallery section below or the Multimedia section.