55° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024
Diamond Notes: Baseball for April 29-May 3
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser • Published May 5, 2024
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3
Pitch Notes for April 29-May 3

Celebrating Michelle Obama

Celebrating Michelle Obama
Lawrence Jackson

In celebration of Women’s History Month, The Coyote Caller is recognizing women from around the world who have made a contribution to society. Today, we recognize Michelle Obama, the first Black first lady of the United States.

Obama was born in Illinois on January 17, 1964, to her parents Frasier Robinson III and Marian Shields. She grew up in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood with her older brother Craig, attending Chicago Public Schools. She graduated in 1981 as class salutatorian from Whitney Young High School. 

She then went on to follow her brother to Princeton University in New Jersey, graduating in 1985. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in Sociology with a minor in African-American Studies. Later in 1992, Barack Obama and Michelle Robinson married at Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ. Soon after having two daughters, Malia and Natasha “Sasha.” 

Michelle Obama served as the first lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017 as the wife of President Barack Obama. She was the first African-American woman to serve in this position. During her husband’s administration, Mrs. Obama launched multiple initiatives like poverty awareness, education, nutrition, physical activity, and healthy eating.

No longer in the White House, Michelle Obama is now introducing her new podcast based on “The Light We Carry” based on her book tour.