57° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Celebrating Jeanette Rankin

The first American woman elected to Congress
Jeanette Rankin
This image is available from the United States Library of Congress’s Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID ggbain.23837
Jeanette Rankin was the first woman elected to Congress.

In celebration of Women’s History Month, The Coyote Caller is recognizing women from around the world who have made a contribution to society. Today, we recognize Jeanette Rankin, the first woman to serve in Congress,

Rankin was born in Missoula of the Montana territory on June 11, 1880. Growing up on a ranch, Jeanette was the oldest of her other six siblings.  Her father, John Rankin, was a builder and rancher who was originally from Canada. Her mother was a teacher in New Hampshire before she married her husband.  

Rankin later attended Montana State University in Missoula, where she earned a degree in biology after graduating in 1902.  However, after spending a few years teaching, Rankin later began to volunteer at the Telegraph Settlement House, gaining an interest in social work. In addition to her interest in social work, Rankin later was accepted to the New York School of Philanthropy where she began her studies in social work. Graduating in 1909, Rankin then moved to Spokane, Washington, where she started taking social sciences classes. 

Rankin’s political career started with a local suffrage campaign in Washington state. In 1910 Rankin helped Washington to become the fifth state to support women’s suffrage. This led to Rankin’s becoming the field secretary. She helped work alongside the National Woman Suffrage Association where she began to work and help support the group in 15 different states.   

She was elected to Congress in 1916. While tensions were rising between America and Europe, one of Montana’s two Democratic House incumbents dropped out of his re-election bid, which helped Rankin win the election as the first woman to ever have a seat in Congress.  

Whether it was teaching, volunteering, working with children, or working alongside the woman’s suffrage movement. Rankin impacted people everywhere she went in some type of way. Even after her death in 1973, Rankin’s legacy still continues to have an impact and definitely set the standard for the other women who served in Congress after her.  

Sources  

https://socialwork.columbia.edu/news/cssw-and-us-politics-government/jeannette-rankin/ 

https://history.house.gov/People/Listing/R/RANKIN,-Jeannette-(R000055)/