75° Clarksville
West Creek High's Student News Site

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

The Coyote Caller

Photo Gallery: Soccer vs. Northwest, May 9, 2024
Scott Hoskins, Journalism Adviser/Photographer • Published May 13, 2024
Photo Gallery: JROTC @Daytona Beach Drill World Championships
Gisely Argueta, Phototgrapher • Published May 8, 2024
Exam schedule posted
Exam schedule posted
Staff ReportPublished May 8, 2024
Laptop collection day set for Thursday, May 16
Staff ReportPublished May 6, 2024

Celebrating Valentina Tereshkova

Russian cosmonaut
Valentina Tereshkova
Image Credit: NASA
Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to fly to space when she launched on the Vostok 6 mission June 16, 1963.

March is Women’s History Month. In celebration of the women who have changed the world, The Coyote Caller will profile them throughout this month. Today’s profile is Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman to be in space. 

Born on March 6, 1937, in Maslennikova, Russia, Tereshkova was the second oldest out of all her siblings. Tereshkova began schooling at age 8 but later dropped out at 16 and started working.  

Tereshkova first worked as a textile worker.  As her interest in skydiving and parachuting grew,  Tereshkova also became an amateur skydiver at a local flight club.  

Making her first jump at age 22, Tereshkova later gained attraction from the cosmonaut corps.  After being selected along with four other women, Tereshkova joined the cosmonaut corps on February 16, 1962. Tereshkova and another one of her colleagues would lead her class, passing final examinations in November of 1962. 

After passing the final examinations, Tereshkova was commissioned into the Soviet Air Force as a lieutenant, which led her to possibly be the first woman to ever be launched into space. 

In addition to the beginning of Tereshkova’s space career, she was set to go on a solo Vostok flight mission. At first, Tereshkova was set to be launched on the Vostok 5 mission, but due to the Soviet Union choosing to launch a male for the Vostok 5 mission, Tereshkova was then set to be launched on the Vostok 6 mission.  

But on June 16, 1963, at the age of 26, Tereshkova became the first woman to ever be launched into space. Being in orbit for almost three days, Tereshkova had more flight time than any other U.S. astronaut.

Tereshkova had a great impact on society and for her efforts in space, she made something that was once impossible possible and helped pave the way for women to be launched into space.

Sources 

https://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESA_history/50_years_of_humans_in_space/First_woman_in_space_Valentina 

https://www.space.com/16143-women-space-firsts-gallery.html